At this time of year the number of enquiries we get regarding Payroll and HR is staggering and the number of Greentree Payroll and HR brochure downloads from our website multiplies tenfold.
During the third quarter of the financial year, businesses start taking stock of their current processes and planning ways to improve their businesses in the new year.
When I speak to the departments concerned, in their initial enquiries I am staggered at the pain they have to suffer every week, fortnightly or monthly to produce a payroll.
Many are positioning themselves not to suffer any longer and moving forward in July 2013 are determined to make this a better year.
If we look at payroll the pain points many organisations are suffering with are that:
- automatic tax updates provided are not tested and cause havoc by being incorrect
- individual pay templates cannot be setup for each employee for standard pay and deductions, meaning this has to be entered on each payroll run
- no awards interpreter is available
- they don’t have the ability to process pays in advance (for example, for Christmas holidays)
- they are unable to apply bulk pay increases or bulk public holiday processing
Do I need to say why they are looking for improvement? It should be pretty clear by now!
In terms of the HR arena, we are seeing a large increase in interest in effective software to manage the organisational responsibilities for an employee, but also to help provide employees with a proper career path in terms of training courses and skill development.
In addition we are seeing a huge increase in self service application (staff printing their own payslips, updating a change of address and being able to register WHS incidents themselves).
Also in industries we are seeing the use of timesheet entry being increased, particularly in consultancy, professional services and other service based organisations. This data is input by employees as a record of their activity and being fed to payroll processing via a mobile device or the web.
So if we look at the key areas people are trying to improve on in a HR department they are as follows:
- Many large SME organisations are just realising the importance of having this function or indeed having software solutions rather than paper based records – yes lots of organisations still don’t have a HR department!
- Employee development in terms of both providing employees with the correct levels of training and courses to make them feel valued and also helping the organisation plan for their needs
- Organisation’s looking to streamline leave planning procedures and minimise the time and resource demands on HR and management staff with Greentree’s Leave Planning functionality in HRM.
- eHR or employee self service is becoming a burning desire with many organisations, in order to take the pressure off internal departments. It gives staff the ability to schedule leave, re print lost payslips, change addresses and, often seen as critical, move the onus of registering WHS incidents from the employer to the employee by making this available on-line.
So if you are looking to get serious about improving your payroll or HR department contact us now before you have to suffer another year of pain!
Scott is one of the Directors of Kinetic Information Systems. He started his career in the UK as an accountant in practice and then industry. Scott has been in the software industry for over 18 years in the UK and over the past three years down under.
You can connect with Scott via his LinkedIn profile linkedin.com/in/scottgrahamkinetic